How to get help on the streets

There are services that can help you if you are homeless and have nowhere to go. You can get practical support, help with finding a safe place to stay and advice on your rights.

You can call for free help

Shelter's helpline – call 0808 800 4444 (8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 5pm at weekends) for advice on finding a place to stay for the night. Staff at the helpline can give you immediate practical assistance, explain your rights and suggest services that may be able to help you. 

Get Connected – 0808 808 4994 (1pm to 11pm every day) gives advice for young people under 25. You contact them by phone, email, text or webchat. They can support you and talk through your options. Or you can use the Get Connected directory to find housing advice organisations in your area.

24 hour National Domestic Violence Helpline – call 0808 2000 247 if you are a woman fleeing domestic violence.

Where you can go for help

  • Day centres are a safe warm place you can go during the day. They can help with food, clothes and showers, advise you on your housing rights and refer you into emergency accommodation.
  • Check Homeless England for details of the nearest day centre to you.
  • Advice services are usually open during office hours, Monday to Friday. Use the Homeless England directory to find a local advice service to help you.
  • Use Shelter's advice services directory to find a face-to-face adviser near you.
  • Your local council's housing options or housing advice service could help you during office hours with advice and referrals to emergency accommodation. Find your local council through
  • If you are under the age of 18, the council's social services department should help you. Read more about help for homeless young people.

The council probably won't help you with emergency accommodation if you are a single person, in good health and don't have any dependent children. But if you are pregnant, have children or have serious health or mental health issues, the council could find you emergency accommodation if it thinks you are homeless and in priority need.

How help can come to you

A homeless outreach worker from a homelessness charity may contact you if you are sleeping rough. They may be able to help you access emergency accommodation if you are sleeping on the streets.

How you can help rough sleepers

Fill out my online form.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page