Complaints and court action

Housing disrepair compensation claims

You may be able to claim compensation if disrepair in your home makes you ill or causes inconvenience and stress. You can still claim after you've left

Complain to environmental health about housing standards

Your council's environmental health can help if your housing doesn't meet health and safety standards. If you complain, it could order your landlord to do repairs.

Legal action if your landlord won't do repairs

You can take legal action if a landlord refuses to carry out repairs, or has left repair work unfinished. But first there are steps you must take.

Complain to the Ombudsman

If you have tried complaining to your council or housing association because they won't repair your home, see how the Ombudsman may be able to help you.