Home energy saving improvements

The government and energy suppliers can offer help with insulating your home and other energy-saving improvements

Affordable Warmth obligation

You may qualify for a new boiler, loft insulation or cavity wall insulation through energy suppliers' Affordable Warmth obligations.

The scheme is provided by energy suppliers for homeowners and private tenants who claim certain benefits.

You can apply to any energy supplier's scheme, even if you don't get your gas or electricity from them.

Council or housing association tenants aren't eligible for help under this scheme.

Contact the Energy Saving Trust on 0300 123 1234 to check if you're eligible

Find out more from Gov.uk about the Affordable Warmth Obligation.

Feed-in tariffs

You may qualify for the feed-in tariff if you generate any of your own energy.

This means your energy provider pays you for any power you generate and allows you to sell surplus power back to the grid.

Changes to the feed-in tariff in February 2016 might mean you receive less for the energy you produce.

Find out more about the feed-in tariff from Gov.uk

Energy cost savings

Use the Energy Saving Trust tools and calculators to find out how to make energy savings in your home.

Last updated 01 Jan 2015 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.