This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Extended payments

This content applies to England

Extended payments under which claimants who start work can continue to receive housing benefit for four weeks.

Extended payments help people who get work while receiving housing benefit. They give claimants an extra four weeks of housing benefit. The main conditions for getting an extended payment are that the claimant or any partner:[1]

  • starts employment or self-employment, or increases her/his hours or earnings, for a period of at least five weeks
  • has been entitled to income support, income-based jobseeker's allowance, incapacity benefit or severe disability allowance for at least 26 weeks prior to the claim.

A claimant who qualifies for an extended payment should be awarded it, but this does not always happen and it is advisable for the claimant to inform the local authority if s/he considers that s/he qualifies. After the extended payment period, a claimant may be entitled to some housing benefit on top of her/his earnings, and should claim for this separately by sending in a new claim form.

[1] regs 72-73 and Schs.7-8 Housing Benefit Regulations 2006 SI 2006/213; reg 53 and Sch.7 Housing Benefit (Persons who have attained the qualifying age for pension credit) Regulations 2006 SI 2006/214.

Back to top