This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Occupying the home

This content applies to England

When someone can be paid housing benefit before moving in, on more than one home, or when temporarily away from home.

As a rule a claimant can only be paid housing benefit for accommodation s/he normally occupies as her/his home. This section explains the exceptions to this condition.

Payments before moving to new home

Information on situations where housing benefit will be paid before a claimant moves in to a new home. 

Payments on more than one home

Situations where housing benefit can be paid on more than one home. 

Temporary absences from home

When housing benefit will be paid where the tenant is temporarily absent from home. 

Back to top