This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Civil action

This content applies to England

Harassed and/or illegally evicted occupiers can use the civil court (county court) to get an injunction to stop the harassment and/or to be reinstated in their home and to get damages as compensation for their landlord's actions.


A landlord can be forced to stop harassment or illegal eviction by way of a county court injunction. 


This section gives information about damages that can be sought where an occupier has been harassed or illegally evicted by her/his landlord. 

Causes of action

In order to take a case in the civil court, the complainant must have a cause of action deriving from either breach of contract or tort law. 

Back to top