This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Paying for public and social housing

This content applies to England

Paying for local authority and housing association accommodation, looking particularly at rent in advance, deposits and premiums.

Local authority accommodation

Councils may charge incoming tenants rent in advance. They could, in theory, charge premiums for granting secure tenancies but in practice they do not.

Housing association accommodation

Housing associations are unlikely to ask prospective tenants for a deposit and rent in advance.

For further information, please see the section on Regulatory standards.

Back to top