This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Civil action

This content applies to England & Wales
How to bring civil action in cases where domestic violence has occurred.


As an alternative to criminal action, or because of the shortcomings of criminal law, civil action is often used in situations where domestic violence has occurred. 

Remedies under the Family Law Act

Non-molestation orders and occupation orders under the Family Law Act 1996, and some changes made by the Domestic Violence, Crime and Victims Act 2004. 

Other options for civil action

Remedies that do not come under the Family Law Act 1996, but are available to people experiencing domestic violence. 

Civil remedies under PHA 1997

Civil remedies under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. 

Common law tort actions

The purposes of common law tort actions. 

Back to top