Attitudes to Housing Affordability
By: Catherine Davie Published: April 2011
Shelter has commissioned YouGov to explore how people are coping with their housing costs in the current economic climate.
- Attitudes to Housing Affordability - Summary (PDF 188.2 KB)
Most statistics in the briefing are from a survey conducted in August 2010, however, where available, the findings have been compared with results from earlier surveys highlighting trends over time:
- Rising numbers are struggling to keep up with their rent or mortgage payments
- Renters are more likely to be struggling than homeowners
- People have used savings, borrowed money and got second jobs to meet their housing costs
- The use of credit cards to meet housing costs is rising.