Building for the Future - 2005 Update
By: Published: November 2005
This report updates the estimate of housing need set out in 'Building for the Future - 2004 update'.
- Building for the Future 2005 Update - Main Report (PDF 323.2 KB)
- Building for the Future 2005 Update - Technical Document (PDF 613.4 KB)
The report provides an updated estimate of how many social rented homes are needed to meet the recommendations in the Barker Review of Housing Supply and the Government's target to halve the number of people in temporary accommodation by 2010.
The research includes the following:
- an updated estimate of newly arising need for social rented housing
- a new estimate of the need for intermediate housing
- an updated estimate of the backlog of unmet housing need
- an updated assessment of the number of homes required to meet the need identified by the Barker Review, based on similar assumptions to those used in the Review's final report
- an estimate of the number of additional homes needed to meet the Government's target to halve the number of homeless households in temporary accommodation by 2010
- an assessment of the public expenditure implications of meeting these needs.