Standard Local Housing Allowances: Representation to the Social Security Advisory Committee
By: Jenny Neuburger Published: June 2003
Shelter made a representation in June 2003 to the Social Security Advisory Committee about the Government's objectives to create a fairer, simpler housing benefit system and promote choice for tenants.
Shelter believe the current system is unfair, poorly administered and complex, and is in clear need of reform.
The proposed scheme would:
- remove a direct link between a person's housing benefit entitlement and their actual rent
- remove the option of direct payments of housing benefit to landlords.
Shelter had a number concerns and made a number of recommendations including:
- removing the Single Room Rent restrictions
- replacing the definition of a Broad Rental Market Area with a Local Rental Market Area
- allowing claimants to retain the option of having housing benefit paid direct to their landlord.