This year, Nationwide are donating 20p to Shelter for every vote cast at their AGM. Voting opens on 16 June – so if you’re a member, please visit their website and make your vote count.
Shelter and Nationwide have been working together for over 14 years. We share a mutual belief that everyone should have somewhere to call home, whether it’s owed or rented. Right now, we’re working together on a four-year partnership that aims to raise £1 million and help 16,000 people find and keep a home. The money raised will help fund Shelter’s free advice helpline and family services in Sheffield and Birmingham.
Nationwide Building Society has been a firm supporter of Shelter since 2000. Here are some of the things we’ve already achieved together:
- Between 2000 and 2002 Nationwide Building Society sponsored Strip4Shelter, which raised over £750,000.
- In 2004 Nationwide started supporting Shelter advice services in Bristol.
- Between 2008 and 2011, Nationwide supported four community-based projects in Bristol, Milton Keynes, Hertfordshire and Dorchester, allowing Shelter to work with over 3,500 families, adults, children and young people whose lives were affected by housing problems and homelessness.
- In 2011 Nationwide sponsored Shelter’s Teachers Centre, a free online tool for teachers. The resources are designed for Citizenship and PSHE classes and look at the issues of young people and homelessness, and money management.
- In 2011, Nationwide employees voted for the fourth year running to raise money for Shelter. As one of three charities chosen by members to benefit from their vote, Shelter received a donation of over £30,000 which will go towards the Skills Support Programme, based at Shelter’s Bristol service.
Like Shelter, Nationwide has a strong commitment to housing in the UK. Founded with these shared values, our new strategic partnership can provide a powerful voice for housing. We hope to influence public opinion and government policies to drive housing up the political agenda in the future.