Home Visit Will Service
The Goodwill Partnership
Using The Goodwill Partnership (TGP), we will help you make a simple will, at no cost to you, in the comfort of your own home.
What is the Goodwill Partnership
TGP offers the convenience of a free home visit solicitor-provided will service in England and Wales. Telephone consultations are also available for those who prefer this method instead of a home visit.
No visits to the solicitor are required; instead a trained local counsellor takes the will instructions in your home at any time and date which is convenient to you, whether that be daytime, evening or weekend.
Your will is checked and provided directly to you by a panel firm of solicitors who can provide legal advice. The end result is a solicitor-provided will, regulated by the Law Society of England and Wales.
Who pays for my will
Shelter will pay for a simple individual will and for the will of your partner. If you request additional legal work such as a discretionary trust you will be charged a fee for this.
Do I need to include a gift to Shelter in a will written through the service?
Gifts in wills to Shelter help us to continue our work to prevent homelessness, improve housing conditions and strengthen communities. We’d really appreciate it if you decide to include a gift in your will to the charity, however, there is no obligation to do so.
How do I apply?
You can telephone TGP switchboard directly or request a call back to arrange an appointment. Please quote reference SHE001 when you make your appointment.
If you have any further questions about the service, please email Kate McGrath, our Legacy Adviser at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What happens next?
- You will be visited by a trained counsellor who records your will instructions and passes them on to a solicitor who specialises in estate and probate law.
- During the consultation, you will be asked if you wish to leave a legacy to charity. The counsellor will ask your permission to share this information with your chosen charity and whether your personal details can be passed on to them.
- If you need further advice regarding your will this can be provided directly to you by the panel solicitors.
- Your will is written in accordance with your will instructions and provided directly to you by the panel solicitors.
- Shelter pays for your simple will and that of your partner.
The Goodwill Partnership has a strict set of guidelines that all solicitors must adhere to before being accepted on their panel. Panel solicitors are qualified, practising and regulated by The Law Society of England and Wales.
The Goodwill Partnership counsellors who visit you at home are bound by a code of practice and are not permitted to provide legal advice.
Any solicitor you are referred to as part of The Goodwill Partnership is an independent professional from whom you will receive impartial and confidential advice. Inclusion of a firm of solicitors on TGP panel does not imply a recommendation by Shelter.
If you would prefer to visit a solicitor to discuss writing your will, you may find the information on our Free Wills Network page useful.