Shelter Birmingham - Newtown
How we can help
We offer a wide range of help and advice on all housing and homelessness issues. We have a team of advisers and solicitors who may be able to help you with your problem – and if we can’t help, we work with other agencies who can.
We have computers and telephones you can use to access the internet for advice, claim benefits, or bid on properties.
- homelessness, or worried you’ll soon become homeless
- looking for accommodation
- having problems with your landlord
- being evicted or repossessed
- debt problems
- benefits issues
- problems with disrepair
- need help going to court regarding your housing
Even if your problem isn't listed above we may still be able to help - just give us a call to discuss.
We also offer some specialist services:
- securing same-day accommodation for single, homeless people, through our work with private landlords and housing providers
- completing homelessness, Council Housing Register, and Homelessness Prevention Fund applications
- assistance with deposits for private rented accommodation
- general advice on housing and keeping tenancies
- disrepair and anti-social behaviour issues in the private sector
We also have a specific service for single people and childless couples, giving advice on housing options and homelessness. This usually includes individuals who are homeless on the day.
If you think that one of our specialist services may be able to help you, give us a call to discuss in more detail – or drop in and we can check if you are eligible.
Arrange a face to face session
You can call us to make an appointment to see someone, or pop in – where you will have an initial chat with one of our team to see how we can best help you.
We are often very busy and so we may not be able to deal with your query straight away, but if we must ask you to come back for an appointment, we will do our best to make sure you get some initial information.
Sometimes we may need you to bring in specific documents but if you call ahead we can explain this before you drop in.
We're located in Newton Shopping Centre, with the following buses stopping nearby: 33, 51, 886, 907A, 52, 52A, 7 and 8C.
Areas that we cover
- wheelchair access
- adapted toilets
- computers and phones
- access to interpreters via phone
If you’re in urgent need
We can give emergency advice during opening hours.
If you’re struggling with any other problem, other services and organizations might be able to help.