Eviction of demoted housing association tenants

Coronavirus update: evictions are on hold

Court action for eviction is on hold until at least 23 August.

Your landlord can't get a court order to evict you until after that date.

Use the time to sort out problems with antisocial behaviour or rent arrears. 

Risk of eviction

Get advice now if you're facing eviction from a demoted housing association tenancy. This could be the last chance to keep your home.

Find out where to get free legal advice.

Have your notice and court paperwork with you when you speak to an adviser.

How the housing association can evict you

The housing association must follow the correct legal procedure to evict you from a demoted tenancy.

1. Notice

The housing association must send you a section 21 notice.

The notice must be on Form 6A

The notice will be invalid if the housing association didn’t give you a gas safety certificate and energy performance certificate before they gave you the section 21 notice.

A section 21 notice must give you at least

  • 2 months if given before 26 March 2020
  • 3 months if given on or after 26 March 2020

You do not have to leave when the notice period expires.

2. Court action

The housing association must apply to the court for a possession order if you stay after the end of the notice period.

They must start court action within 6 months of the date they gave you the section 21 notice.

Court action for eviction is on hold until at least 23 August. Your housing association can't get a court order to evict you until after this date. 

The court will send you papers, including a defence form. The papers tell you which type of possession proceedings your landlord is using.

You should complete and return the defence form to the court if you want to challenge the eviction or ask for more time to stay.

A hearing date isn't automatically given if a landlord uses accelerated possession proceedings.

The court decides if a hearing is needed when it receives your landlord's claim and your defence form if you returned it. The court makes a decision by looking at the papers if there is no hearing.

If your landlord uses standard possession proceedings, you’re given a hearing date. You can attend the hearing even if you didn't return your defence form.

3. Court decision

The court can decide to:

  • dismiss the case if the section 21 isn’t valid
  • order you to leave if the notice is valid

If the case is dismissed, the housing association must start the eviction process again if they still want you to leave. You could still be ordered to pay any rent arrears the court agrees you owe if the housing association uses standard possession proceedings.

If the court orders you to leave, it usually gives you 2 weeks but can allow up to 6 weeks.

The court records its decision and any leaving date in a possession order.

4. Bailiffs

If you don't leave your home by the date given in a possession order, the housing association can apply to the court for eviction by bailiffs.

The court sends you a letter to let you know when the bailiffs are coming.

Your only chance of stopping the bailiffs at this stage is to persuade the housing association to stop them.

For example, if it wants to evict you because you owe rent you could contact the housing association with a realistic offer to clear the arrears.

Last updated 08 June 2020 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Related advice

Get the government to build more social housing

You have the power to make sure they provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.