How to deal with changes to your housing benefit

When your housing benefit can be stopped

Why payments can be suspended

Payments are usually suspended because the council think:

  • a change in circumstances affects your claim
  • an overpayment has been made

Your council will write to you if they suspend your housing benefit claim and explain the reason for it. They may ask you to provide additional information or evidence.

The council should restart payments within 14 days if you provide the evidence or information required within 1 month of the request.

Payments will be backdated to the date they were suspended.

When the council can end your claim

The council can stop your housing benefit payments if you do not provide evidence or information required to support your claim within 1 month.

Tell the council if you’re unable to get the evidence they require. You may be able to provide other acceptable evidence.

The council must tell you if a decision to end your claim has been made. You can appeal to a housing benefit tribunal if you want to challenge the decision.

Complain about suspended or stopped payments

Use the council’s formal complaints process if you are not happy with how they have managed your housing benefit claim.

Find your local council on GOV.UK

If you’re not satisfied with the response from the council, you can complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman.

Still need advice?

Search for your nearest Citizens Advice service for benefits advice

Find your nearest Shelter housing adviser

Last updated 24 Sep 2018 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.