Lodging schemes

Local lodging schemes are usually run by the council and can put you in touch with someone who has a spare room for rent.

How do supported lodgings work?

Lodgings schemes put people who need a place to stay in contact with people who have a room to rent out. They can often find a place the same day.

In most areas, it is much cheaper than staying in a hostel or bed and breakfasts. You usually get a room to yourself and access to a bathroom or shower. Some hosts also provide meals.

You may be able to stay for a few days, a few weeks or until you are ready to move into your own place. It usually depends on how long the room is free for and how well you and the host get on.

The scheme's staff usually keep in touch and help you sort out benefits or other problems. They can also help you to find a more permanent place to live and may be able to help you raise money for a deposit and/or rent in advance.

If you are 16 to 25 years old, there may also be a Nightstop or other supported lodgings scheme in your area. These operate in a very similar way to lodging schemes and can often find you a place the same day.

Find a place on a lodgings scheme

Most lodgings schemes are run by the council or a local voluntary organisation or charity.

Contact the housing department of your local council or use Citizens Advice to find a local advice centre. They should be able to give you details of any lodgings schemes in your area.

You usually meet the householder before you move in, to talk about basic ground rules and to see if the arrangement suits you. You and the householder can then decide whether you think you will get on.

Rights in another person's home

You can be evicted very easily if you live in another person's home rather than having your own place.

In most cases, you are classed as an excluded occupier or an occupier with basic protection, which means you have limited rights if the landlord wants you to leave.

Cost of lodging schemes

Lodgings schemes usually work out cheaper than renting privately or staying in a hostel or bed and breakfast.

If you claim benefits or have a low income, you may be able to claim universal credit to help pay the rent.

However, housing benefit won't cover the cost of things like meals, cleaning or bills, even if these services are included in the cost of your stay. You have to pay for these extra items yourself.

Find out more from GOV.UK about claiming benefits.

Last updated 21 Oct 2014 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.