Student renting: What does it cost?

When you rent privately you have to pay rent and bills, plus other upfront costs including a deposit.


Rent is your biggest regular outgoing. It is usually paid monthly. The easiest way to pay is by direct debit.

If you are a joint tenant, you and all of your flatmates are responsible for the rent. If one of you moves out, the rest must pay their share.

You are only responsible for your rent if you have a sole tenancy agreement for a room in a shared flat or house.

Check if your tenancy agreement covers the whole year or just term time.

You usually have to pay at least one month's rent in advance before you move in.


Before you move in, you have to pay a tenancy deposit. This is usually equivalent to one month's rent.

If you are an assured shorthold tenant and you pay a tenancy deposit check your deposit has been protected.

Your deposit is returned to you at the end of your tenancy. But your landlord can make deductions for things like unpaid rent or any damage you cause.


Most fees for tenants are banned. You can't be asked to pay for things like credit checks or references when agreeing a new tenancy.

Other costs of renting a home

Other renting costs include:

  • moving your things to your new home
  • the weekly shop
  • buying furniture and household equipment
  • gas, electricity and water charges
  • TV licence
  • internet and telephone, including installation fees
  • contents insurance

Council tax and housing benefit

You don't have to pay council tax if you and all the other tenants in your home are all full-time students.

Find out more from about students and council tax.

Full-time students can't usually claim benefits to help pay the rent but there are some exceptions.

Last updated 19 Sep 2016 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Related advice

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.