Universal credit advances

A universal credit advance could help you during the 5 week wait for your first universal credit payment.

What a universal credit advance is

A universal credit advance is an interest-free loan from the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP).

When you claim universal credit, it usually takes at least 5 weeks until you get your first payment. It could take longer.

You can ask for an advance if you'll struggle financially while you wait for universal credit (UC) payments to start or increase, for example, you can't afford to:

  • buy food
  • pay rent or utility bills

You repay an advance through deductions from future UC payments.

When to ask for a universal credit advance

You can ask for an advance when you:

  • apply for universal credit
  • are waiting for UC payments to start or increase
  • report a change in circumstances that will increase your UC payment

If you're given an advance, it's usually paid into your bank account within 5 days.

How to apply for a universal credit advance

You can apply for an advance through your online account if you:

  • claimed UC within the last month 
  • are waiting for your first payment  

If you applied for UC more than a month ago or if you can't apply for an advance online:

Call the Universal Credit helpline on 0800 328 5644

The call could take around 30 minutes. The adviser will need to speak to you and your partner if you have a joint UC claim.

Be ready to explain why you need the advance. For example, you have rent arrears or can’t afford to buy food. 

You usually get a same-day decision.

How much you can get

The maximum advance is 100% of your estimated monthly universal credit payment.

If you apply online, the amount you can borrow is shown on screen.

If you apply through the UC helpine, the adviser will tell you:

  • how much they can offer
  • monthly repayment amounts

You repay an advance from through deductions from future UC payments so only ask for what you need.

Repaying a universal credit advance

You repay the advance over 12 months through deductions from your monthly UC payment. The first deduction is usually made on the day you get your first payment.

You can ask for your repayments to be delayed for up to 3 months if you can’t afford them. This is only allowed in exceptional circumstances.

If you are refused an advance

You might be refused an advance if you:

  • won't face serious hardship
  • are close to receiving your first universal credit payment
  • can't afford to repay the advance within 12 months

You can ask for the decision to be reconsidered but you don't have a right to appeal.

A benefits adviser may be able to help you.

Find out how to find a benefits adviser with the Money Advice Service.

Emergency financial help

There may be other types of emergency financial help, depending where you live.

Last updated 17 Sep 2018 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.