This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Underpayments of housing benefit

This content applies to England

What happens if there is an underpayment of housing benefit.

If the local authority pays too little housing benefit as a result of official error (and the claimant does not contribute to this), the arrears must be awarded no matter how far they go back.[1]

For information about overpayments, see the page on Overpayments of housing benefit.

[1] reg.4 Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit (Decisions and Appeals) Regulations 2001 SI 2001/1002.

Back to top