This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Tenant options if a landlord fails to repair

This content applies to England & Wales

Options for tenants whose landlord has failed to carry out repairs .

Advising tenants about taking action

What advisers should check before advising their clients about taking action on disrepair. 

Withholding rent to pay for repairs

A look at whether tenants can withhold rent to pay for the cost of repairs and the procedure for doing so. 

Offsetting rent arrears when repairs aren't made

Whether rent arrears can be offset against damages for disrepair. 

Taking legal action over disrepair

How a tenant can take court action against their landlord for disrepair 

Time limits for action against disrepair

Time limits for taking action on disrepair. 

Court orders for repairs

The purpose of court proceedings by means of an 'order for specific performance' or, for non-contractual issues, a 'mandatory injunction'. 

Claiming damages for disrepair

Information on seeking damages to compensate for loss, stress or injuries resulting from disrepair. Also covered are examples of damages' awards. 

Disrepair remedies for local authority tenants

Particular remedies for disrepair available to secure and introductory local authority tenants. 

Disrepair remedies for PRPSH tenants

Specific procedures that tenants of private registered providers of social housing (PRPSHs) can use when faced with disrepair. 

Disrepair remedies for private tenants

Some remedies for disrepair that private tenants may have. 

Landlord agrees to repair and compensate

How a tenant could negotiate a formal agreement with the landlord to carry out the repair works and give compensation. 

Back to top