This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

PRPSH tenants: additional remedies

This content applies to England & Wales

Specific procedures that tenants of private registered providers of social housing (PRPSHs) can use when faced with disrepair.

Appeals/complaints procedure

All PRPSHs must have complaints and/or appeals procedures. These could be utilised as a way of compelling PRPSHs to meet their repairing obligations.

Housing Ombudsman Service

If the failure by a PRPSH to carry out a repair is due to poor administration or procedures, the tenant could complain to the Housing Ombudsman Service. The Ombudsman might investigate the complaint and, if s/he finds maladministration, will recommend how the PRPSH should resolve it. The Ombudsman may also inform the Regulator of social housing (see the Regulation of social housing providers for more information on the Regulator). Before complaining to the Ombudsman, the tenant should exhaust any internal complaints procedure of the PRPSH.

See the page Housing Ombudsman Service (HOS) for more information on how to complain to the HOS.

Back to top