This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

The regulator of social housing

This content applies to England

From January 2018, the regulation of social housing providers in England is the function of the Regulator of Social Housing (RSH).

Regulator of Social Housing

From 1 October 2018, the Regulator of Social Housing is a stand-alone 'non departmental public body' of government.[1] It was previously part of the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) which also administers grants to social housing providers.

Requirement to be registered

All social housing providers in England are required to be registered with the regulator, including local authorities, housing associations, housing co-operatives, profit-making organisations and any other form of housing provider.[2]

All local authorities are regulated, including those whose stock is managed by an Arm's Length Management Organisation (ALMO) or a Tenant Management Organisation (TMO).

The Regulatory framework for social housing in England from April 2015 describes the regulator's approach.

Social housing means low cost rental accommodation and low cost home ownership accommodation as defined by sections 68-70 of the Housing and Regeneration Act 2008.

Previous Regulators

Before 1 October 2018, the regulator was part of the HCA (although it changed its name to Regulator of Social Housing in January 2018). Prior to April 2012, the regulator was the Tenant Services Authority (TSA).

[1] Legislative Reform (Regulator of Social Housing) (England) Order 2018 SI 2018/1040

[2] Part 2 Housing and Regeneration Act 2008 as amended by schedules 16 and 17 Localism Act 2011.

Back to top