This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Resolving occupation disputes

This content applies to England & Wales

This section looks at different ways in which occupation disputes can be resolved.

Introduction to resolving occupation disputes

In some cases, it may not be possible for the couple to live together, or one spouse or civil partner might refuse to allow the other to occupy the property. 

Occupation orders under FLA 1996

Occupation orders that can be granted under the Family Law Act 1996. 

Preventing sale/disposal of home

How a joint-owning spouse or civil partner may be able to prevent sale or disposal of the home by the other joint partner. 

Action after a sale or disposal

How a joint owner who has not consented to a sale by the other joint owner may be able to get the transaction set aside. 

Back to top