This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Resolving occupation disputes

This content applies to England & Wales

Different ways in which occupation disputes can be resolved.

Introduction to occupation orders

In some cases, it may not be possible for the couple to live together, or one spouse or civil partner might refuse to allow the other to occupy the property. 

Occupation orders under FLA 1996

The occupation orders that can be granted under the Family Law Act 1996. 

Preventing sale/disposal of home

How a non-owning spouse or civil partner may be able to prevent sale or disposal of the home. 

Other court orders and injunctions

Information about court orders other than those available under the Family Law Act. 

Action after a sale or disposal

Limited circumstances in which it may be possible for a non-owning spouse or civil partner to stay in the matrimonial home after a sale or disposal by the sole owner. 

Back to top