This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Rent increases and council tax

This content applies to England

Liability to pay council tax and how this relates to rent increases.

Where an assured/assured shorthold tenant lives in a house in multiple occupation, the landlord will be liable to pay the council tax on the property.[1] However, the landlord may recover the money if there is a clause in the agreement allowing for this or s/he may seek to increase the rent to cover the amount. If the agreement does not allow for this the landlord would not be able to increase the rent except as specified in the section Rent increases. Where there is a fixed-term tenancy with no rent review clause the landlord will be unable to pass on the cost.

[1] Council Tax (Liability for Owners) Regulations 1992 SI 1992/551, as amended.

Back to top