This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Transferring a tenancy

This content applies to England

How a tenancy may be transferred after relationship breakdown.

As an alternative to ordering a tenant to assign a tenancy to her/his ex-spouse or ex-civil partner under the Matrimonial Causes Act 1973, the courts can order a transfer of a tenancy under the Family Law Act 1996. This is available in much wider circumstances than the Matrimonial Causes Act order because it does not rely on assignment being possible. It is also available to couples who are not covered by the Matrimonial Causes Act, for example unmarried cohabitants.

Full details of the orders available on relationship breakdown are covered in the section on Relationship breakdown.

Back to top