This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Ending an introductory tenancy

This content applies to England

How a landlord and tenant can end an introductory tenancy.

Tenant's notice to quit

A valid notice to quit (NTQ) by the tenant will end the tenancy.

An NTQ must expire on the first or last day of a period of the tenancy and be equal to the length of the period of the tenancy, unless the tenancy agreement expressly allows otherwise. 

The notice must also be in writing and of no less than 28 days.[1] Where there is a joint tenancy, only one of the tenants needs to give notice for it to be binding on all the joint tenants.[2]

For more information about the requirements for a valid NTQ see Notices to quit: Tenants.


A surrender is a voluntary agreement between the landlord and tenant that the tenancy has come to an end.[3]

Surrender can be express or implied. 

Possession of an introductory tenancy

Prior to issuing possession proceedings the landlord must serve a valid notice on the tenant. The notice, known as a 'section 128 notice', gives the tenant the opportunity to seek an internal review. For more information see Notices: Introductory tenancies

Social landlords should comply with the requirements of the Pre-action Protocol for Possession Cases by Social Landlords before pursuing possession proceedings.

[1] s.5 Protection From Eviction Act 1977.

[2] Hounslow LBC v Pilling [1994] 1 All ER 432.

[3] Artworld Financial Corporation v Safaryan and others [2009] EWCA Civ 303; Belcourt Estates Ltd v Adesina [2005] EWCA Civ 208; Leek and Moorlands Building Society [1952] 2 All ER 492, CA.

Back to top