This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Tenancies that will be introductory

This content applies to England

Types of occupation that can be introductory tenancies.

If a local authority or housing action trust adopts an introductory tenancy scheme, it must apply the scheme to all new tenancies of its housing stock, unless the tenant was a secure tenant or an assured tenant of a private registered provider of social housing immediately before.[1]

The introductory regime provisions also apply to new licences granted to occupy dwelling houses (see What is a secure tenancy for the definition of a dwelling-house). However, the provisions do not apply to temporary licences granted to squatters,[2] or to any other licence that could not be a secure licence (see What is a secure tenancy).

[1] s.124(2) Housing Act 1996.

[2] s.126(2) Housing Act 1996.

Back to top