This page is targeted at housing professionals. Our main site is at

Tenant ending a statutory tenancy

This content applies to England

How a tenant can end her/his statutory tenancy.

A tenant can end a statutory tenancy by serving a valid notice to quit. For further information see Notices to quit: Tenants.

A tenant and landlord can also agree to a surrender of the tenancy. A surrender is a voluntary agreement between the landlord and tenant that the tenancy has come to an end. It can be express or implied. For more information see the page Surrender.

Back to top