Copy suggestions and information
So, what should you include in your letter to the Lords?
We want your letter to be personal, so please do let the Lords know what this means to you, and draw on your own personal experiences where relevant.
Key points to make
That said, with the vote so close, we want to be sure the Lords know exactly why we're writing. So please include the following sentences in your letter.
- Please vote to ensure any council homes sold are replaced - like for like - with a new council home that's available to the same community the original council home was.
- Please vote to give local authorities the power over how many Starter Homes they build.
How should you set your letter out?
By all means structure your letter how you wish to, but if you're pushed for time or inspiration we've drafted some key points you may wish to include, below.
- I wanted to write to you to thank you for voting to change the government's Housing Bill last month, and to urge you to do the same and stand up for people like me when the Bill returns this week
- Speaking from personal experience, this Bill would be a disaster for communities like mine. We desperately need more genuinely affordable homes, not to sell off the ones we have or replace future affordable homes with unaffordable Starter Homes
- Starter Homes are fine for some people, but if they are allowed to replace genuinely affordable homes it will do massive damage to communities like mine. Please vote to give local authorities the power over how many Starter Homes they build.
- The Bill will force the auction of thousands of desperately needed council homes, all to pay for the new Right to Buy. These homes are a lifeline for areas like mine – please vote to ensure that at the very least each home is replaced like for like with a new council home, available to the same community the original council home was.
- Please, for the sake of people like me, stand firm against the Bill this week.
Good luck with your letter, and remember that the Lords will vote this Wednesday, so get it in the post as soon as possible.