Glastonbury Volunteers Terms & Conditions
Throughout these terms, ‘you’/‘your’ refers to the volunteer, and ‘we’ refers to Avalon Bars /Shelter.
Please read the following terms and conditions thoroughly. By registering to volunteer, you are confirming that you have read and understood these terms and conditions, and that you agree to adhere to them.
Registration, deposit & cancellations
- Volunteers will need to pay a refundable deposit of £300 to Shelter upon registration. This deposit is a sign of good faith that you will complete your shifts, and does not buy you a festival ticket. As long as you complete all of your agreed shifts (this will be either three or four shifts over the course of the festival as detailed below), you are free to enjoy the festival at all other times. If shifts are not completed (and/or conditions relating to behaviour and illness are not complied with), Avalon Bars and Shelter reserve the right to remove your Avalon Bars wristband (which gives you access to Avalon Bars’ secure campsite), and your Glastonbury Festival wristband (which gives you access to the festival itself) – as well as Shelter withholding your deposit.
- If you sign up to volunteer and then find you cannot attend, you must cancel your place (by emailing email@example.com) no later than 31 March 2017. Your deposit will then be returned to you by Shelter.
- Shelter will be unable to return deposits for places cancelled after 31 March 2017, except in cases of illness where a valid doctor’s note is provided.
- After the festival, deposits will be returned to volunteers by Shelter following successful completion of all shifts and compliance with all terms and conditions. Partial completion of shifts will not result in partial return of deposit. Every effort will be made to return deposits within 60 days (times may differ slightly due to different banking systems beyond our control).
- Volunteers who have volunteered in previous years, but who did not complete all their shifts satisfactorily or breached these terms and conditions will not be eligible to volunteer. All registration information will be checked against our records and any previously unsuccessful volunteers re-applying will be removed from this year’s list and the deposit for this year will be returned.
- All Volunteers that have not previously volunteered for Shelter to work at the Avalon bars at Glastonbury will be required to attend a pre-event training session in order to become Avalon Certified before they arrive at the event. Selection of volunteers to work at Avalon bars at Glastonbury Festival is conditional on volunteers having successfully completed the training and becoming Avalon Certified
- Volunteers who have already received this training in 2015 or 2016 and who completed all their shifts satisfactorily will not be required to repeat the training sessions - previous successful volunteers who received Avalon training in or before 2014 will be required to repeat the training as a refresher.
- Training sessions will be held at locations in London and Sheffield. You are expected to make your own travel arrangements to attend – unfortunately Avalon Bars and/or Shelter cannot reimburse you for travel expenses to and from the training session.
- Volunteers agree to work 24 hours over the course of the festival (Wednesday 21 – Sunday 25 June 2017). This will be in one of the following combinations:
- 3 days x 8 hours or
- 4 days x 6 hours or
- 2 days x 8 hours plus 2 days x 4 hours
- Please note bars are busiest on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. You are likely to be working on at least two of these days.
- You will be given your shifts when you arrive on site. These are pre-allocated and you will have no choice over the shifts that you are given.
- You cannot swap shifts with other volunteers.
- Volunteers must sign in with their bar manager at the beginning of every shift – it is your responsibility to make sure you do this, to avoid any later disputes over your attendance and the return of your deposit.
- If you are unable to complete your shift due to unforeseen circumstances such as illness, do not just fail to turn up for your shift(s) – YOU MUST come to the staffing office in the Avalon Bars campsite immediately to explain, and we will try to accommodate you if possible. In some cases we may be able to swap your shift to another day to avoid the loss of your deposit.
- If you are volunteering as a group of friends, Avalon Bars will attempt to put you on the same shift team at your request. However, we cannot accommodate requests for more than 6 friends to work together. Please make sure that if you have requested to work with your friend, that they have also requested to work with you – we need to be able to match both requests up.
- If you are too ill to work a shift, you must contact the staffing office in the Avalon Bars campsite in person immediately. You will be given contact numbers for all key personnel on site so that you can get in touch, and there is the possibility we may be able to swap your shift to another day. You will also need to provide a doctor’s note – these are obtainable from specific medical centres at the festival.
- If you miss a shift and you have not contacted the staffing office or provided a doctor’s note, this will count as a missed shift and your deposit will be withheld by Shelter.
- Your priority at the festival is to serve drinks at Avalon bars under the direction of the bar manager/s. You will be representing Shelter whilst you are doing this, so you must act in an appropriately responsible manner during shifts.
- Any behaviour during shifts which may bring Avalon Bars or Shelter into disrepute (including, but not limited to: being drunk, under the influence of illegal drugs or ‘legal highs’ while on duty, treating customers or others in a disrespectful, abusive or unprofessional manner, any incidence of theft) is totally unacceptable and may result in the volunteer being removed from the bar. Avalon Bars and Shelter reserve the right to remove both Avalon Bars and Glastonbury Festival wristbands and escort the volunteer from the festival site.
- We will provide you with two t-shirts which must be worn while working on your shifts. While wearing these t-shirts, either on OR off shift, you are representing Shelter and you must behave in an appropriately responsible manner.
- Volunteers are NOT permitted to drink alcohol, be under the influence of alcohol, or take or be under the influence of illegal drugs or ‘legal highs’ whilst on duty.
- In the event that any volunteer fails to comply with any of the above, or otherwise breaches these terms and conditions, Avalon Bars and Shelter reserve the right to remove both Avalon Bars and Glastonbury Festival wristbands, and/or withdraw coach travel home. Your deposit will also be withheld by Shelter.
- Volunteers who fail to complete all shifts will not be eligible to volunteer in subsequent years.
- Do not bring drugs with you to the festival.
- Drug enforcement laws are just as applicable at Glastonbury Festival as anywhere else in the country. You are liable to be searched at the entrances to the festival – as the Avalon Bars campsite is just outside of the festival perimeter it is highly likely you may be searched as you go in to the main festival site. Police are on site to deal with drug offences.
- Drugs are absolutely not allowed in the Avalon Bars campsite. This also includes the use of nitrous oxide canisters and so-called legal highs. If you are found to be using or in the possession of such substances in the Avalon Bars campsite, your Avalon Bars and Glastonbury wristbands may be removed and you may be escorted from site, and your deposit will be forfeit.
- All volunteers must travel to and from the event on Avalon Bars-provided coaches.
- Avalon Bars coaches will be departing to Glastonbury during the day on Tuesday 20 June 2017 from various departure points around the country, including Bristol, London and Sheffield.
- The Avalon Bars coaches will be booked to travel back from the festival site on Monday, 26 June 2017. Please be aware that it can take a very long time to get off site due to the public exiting the campsites, and the heavy traffic around the festival site and surrounding area. Traffic conditions are out of our control and we cannot guarantee you will be able to leave site, or arrive at the coach destination point for a specific time, therefore please do not book travel connections with this in mind.
- You must camp in the Avalon Bars staff campsite. Campervans or live-in vehicles are not permitted in the Avalon Bars campsite and cannot be accommodated.
- The Avalon Bars staff campsite has access to hot showers, a subsidised bar and catering tent and can only be accessed with an Avalon Bars wristband.
- Each volunteer will receive two meal vouchers per eight-hour shift (or equivalent split shifts) on arrival, to cover the days that they are working. These can be exchanged for meals in the catering tent in the Avalon Bars staff campsite – lost vouchers will not be replaced so keep your vouchers safe.
- Avalon Bars cannot provide any secure facilities for valuables you bring to site and cannot safeguard your personal and/or valuable possessions. Glastonbury Festival provides secure property lockups around the festival site; this facility is not run by, affiliated with or endorsed by Avalon Bars in any way. More information can be found on the official Glastonbury website.
- Avalon Bars accepts no responsibility for any personal belongings lost or stolen at any time while on site.
- Any lost property found inside the non-public part of bars or inside the Avalon Bars campsite, will be handed into Lost Property in the staffing office in the Avalon Bars campsite. This will be held until Thursday 29 June in the staffing office after which time all unclaimed items will be given to Glastonbury Lost Property. Avalon Bars does not accept any responsibility for the condition, damage, loss or subsequent problems that can be associated with providing this Lost Property service. We operate this service purely on a no-blame basis as to any goods we happen to be given, accept or receive and hold onto with the aim trying to re-unite with their owner.
- You will need to be available from Tuesday 20 June to Monday 26 June 2017 inclusive.
- All volunteers must be aged 18 years or over on 20 June 2017.
- You will need to bring a photocopy of photo ID (either passport or driving licence) with you when you come to the festival.
- Avalon Bars and Shelter reserve the right to stand down from shift and/or remove from site any volunteer who they believe to be in breach of these terms and conditions. Our decision in these circumstances will be final.
- In the course of providing your volunteer services, you may have access to confidential information relating to Avalon Bars, Shelter and Glastonbury Festival. We expect you not to use or disclose this information to any other person during or after the event.