Front of House Volunteer - Bristol
As a reception volunteer, you will be acting as our initial point of contact for service users accessing our services by phone and visiting our morning drop-in advice sessions.
A minimum of one day per week for a period of six months, but this can be flexible
26 October 2018
As a Front of House volunteer, you will play an essential part of the team, welcoming guests and clients and providing key administrative support. This role will give you the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, client-facing environment, as well as hands-on experience in one of the UK’s leading homeless charities.
Main Tasks to include:
- Volunteering on morning or afternoon shifts on our busy Bristol reception. Morning shifts are between 9:00-13:00 and afternoon shifts are between 13:00-17:00
- Answering calls and responding to enquiries
- Signposting people to appropriate services
- Morning volunteers will support our busy drop-in advice sessions, and have the opportunity to provide initial triage to service-users
- Volunteers may occasionally support our support workers in home visits to clients with complex needs
- Administrative tasks as and when required
Skills and Abilities required:
- Motivated, organised and reliable.
- Friendly, approachable and empathetic
- Able to sensitively deal with people experiencing upheaval in their lives
- Able to follow strict confidentiality guidelines and to be aware of and make use of our safeguarding procedures
- All staff and volunteers must follow Shelter’s Equality Policy and will be expected to use it within their volunteer role.
For more information on this opportunity please see our role profile.
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large National charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Please complete application process and if you’re suitable for the role, we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- If this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a CRB check. Further details on this process will be provided to the successful applicant(s).
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of Shelter and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.