Advice, Support and Guidance Volunteer for the Personal Budgeting Service
Providing assistance to specialist case workers as they offer advice and assistance to clients accessing the service focusing in on issues that arise related to Universal Credit.
One day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months
28 July 2018
As a Volunteer, you will be an invaluable part of our team as we strive to provide the people of Manchester with free, expert advice from trained advisers on a wide range of housing and debt issues including homelessness, Universal Credit and other benefit issues, evictions or possession action, and debt and budgeting.
We support thousands of clients a year and are committed to delivering more of what we do to the people who need us most.
Main Tasks to include:
- Shadowing Advice/Case works
- Inputting information on to our case management system
- Making telephone calls to gain information / update clients
- Assisting advisors to write letters
- Assisting clients with benefit applications
- General basic admin, such as photocopying, scanning, creating client files and filing
Skills and Abilities Required:
- Experience of working with the public
- Interest in social welfare law e.g. housing; welfare benefits; debt; community care
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Confident using computers and programs such as Word and Excel to a good standard
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity & confidentiality
Please see the role profile for more information about this opportunity.
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large National charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Please complete application process and if you’re suitable for the role, we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- If this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a CRB check. Further details on this process will be provided to the successful applicant(s).
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of Shelter and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.