DIY Skills Volunteer - Manchester
To support the operation of housing support services by assisting the DIY Skills Advisor (DIYSA) in their day to day business, helping them to meet the needs of their clients in their own homes
1 day per week minimum, suggested for around 6 months, but this is flexible
25 November 2018
As a DIY Skills Volunteer you will support the DIY Skills Advisor to help clients from across all of our Manchester services to make their house a home, through skill sharing and practical support.
Main Tasks can include:
- Assisting the DIYSA with decorating (including painting and wallpapering)
- Assisting the DIYSA with gardening and other outdoor tasks such as fencing
- Conducting minor repairs under the supervision of the DIYSA
- Putting together flat-pack furniture
Skills and Experiences required:
- Practical skills in DIY and/or gardening and outside maintenance or an interest in learning these skills
- An interest in supporting and motivating people to make positive changes in their lives through acquiring new skills and interests
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our clients
- An ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
Please see the role profile for more information about this opportunity.
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large National charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Please complete application process and if you’re suitable for the role, we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- If this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a CRB check. Further details on this process will be provided to the successful applicant(s).
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of Shelter and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.