Information Resource Centre Support Volunteer - Manchester
Providing help and guidance to clients accessing the Information Resource Centre (IRC) and supporting the operation of your local Shelter Office in their day to day business.
One day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months
24 September 2018
Main Tasks can include
- Meeting and greeting clients and visitors to the IRC
- Supporting clients to use Choice Based Lettings systems
- Assisting clients with filling in forms for housing and benefits
- Updating and maintaining our agencies database
- Providing information and leaflets where applicable
- Supporting clients to use our website
- ‘Signposting’ people to other services if we are unable to help
- Inputting client details unto our case management system
- General basic admin, such as photocopying, scanning and filing
Skills and Experiences Required
- Experience of working with the public
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our clients
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Ability to use computers and programs to a good standard and confident to show/support others
- Interest in social welfare law e.g. housing; welfare benefits; debt; community care
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health & safety, equality & diversity & confidentiality
Please see the role profile for more information about this role.
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large National charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Please complete application process and if you’re suitable for the role, we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- If this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a CRB check. Further details on this process will be provided to the successful applicant(s).
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of Shelter and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.