Support Assistant Volunteer at the Foodbank – Client Facing
Supporting staff at our foodbank outreach project, assisting clients and completing admin tasks
Half a day or one day per week minimum suggested for around 6 months, but this is flexible
18 August 2018
Shelter run’s an outreach project at three foodbank locations in Newcastle, providing advice and information to foodbank service users on a drop-in basis. This work uses a preventative approach and allows us to reach people who might not otherwise access our City centre hub. Our work at the foodbank varies from helping people facing homelessness, to dealing with debts and assisting with claims for benefits.
Main Tasks can include
- Meeting and greeting clients at the foodbank
- Gathering client feedback
- Giving out information and leaflets
- ‘Signposting’ people to other services if we are unable to help
- Form filling and completing applications with clients
- General basic admin, such as photocopying, scanning, creating client files and filing
- Inputting information on to our case management system
- Experience of working with the public
- Ability to organise your own work, manage your time and work on your own initiative
- Confident using computer programs such as Outlook, Word and Excel
- Effective communication skills and the ability to understand the needs of our customers
- Willingness to follow Shelter’s policies, including volunteering, health and safety, equality and diversity and confidentiality
- All staff and volunteers must follow Shelter’s Equality Policy and will be expected to use it within their volunteer role.
Please see the role profile for more information about this opportunity.
Why get involved with Shelter?
More than one million people a year come to us for advice and support via our website, help lines, and national network of services. We help people to find and keep a home in a place where they can thrive, and we tackle the root causes of bad housing by campaigning for new laws, policies and practice.
Benefits of volunteering with Shelter
- Supporting and learning about the work of a large National charity
- Developing transferable skills
- Enhances your CV, we can help you to update this and will provide references when you leave our services
- Please complete application process and if you’re suitable for the role, we will arrange a brief interview to find out more about you.
- If this role is client facing we are obliged to carry out a CRB check. Further details on this process will be provided to the successful applicant(s).
This is a voluntary position that supports the work of Shelter and is not replacing the work of a paid member of staff. This role description does not form part of any contract of employment.