What you can do after illegal eviction

If you've been illegally evicted from your home, you may have the right to get back in and the right to get your belongings back.

Help from the council after illegal eviction

Contact your local council for help if you've been illegally evicted.

The council may be able to help you get back into your home or prosecute your landlord.

You can ask your local council for advice and help if you're homeless. You may be entitled to emergency housing if you've been made homeless by illegal eviction.

Other help and advice about illegal eviction

Call the police on 999 if you are facing violence or you're in immediate danger. The police should come to your home if they can prevent violence or a breach of the peace.

You can also call Shelter's housing advice helpline on 0808 800 4444 for advice if you're being illegally evicted.

Find somewhere to live after illegal eviction

Ask your local council about going on its waiting list for housing.

Find out more about applying for council and housing association housing.

If you rent privately, you may be able to get help paying a deposit through a rent deposit or guarantee scheme.

You can use a letting agency to help you find a home to rent. You have to pay fees and charges to the letting agency.

Find out more about finding a private rented home.

Can you re-enter your home?

You could have the right to re-enter your home after you've been illegally evicted.

But do not try to get back into your home if:

  • you're not sure your eviction was illegal
  • new tenants have already moved in
  • there is a risk injury or violence to yourself or others

Try not to cause any damage if you do re-enter your home. You could be charged with criminal damage.

If you change the lock, keep the old lock and any keys. Refit the old lock and give the keys to your landlord when you leave.

Ask your council for help. A tenancy relations officer at the council should be able to advise you and may even come with you and help you get back into your home.

Before trying to get back into your home, get advice to find out if it's legal for you to re-enter you home.

Call Shelter's free national helpline on 0808 800 4444.

Use Shelter's directory to find free local advice.

Take legal action to get back into your home

You can ask a court for an injunction that orders your landlord to let you back into your home if you have been illegally evicted.

In an emergency you can ask the court to act quickly, even on the same day.

Find out how to apply to a court for an injunction.

Get your belongings back after illegal eviction

Your landlord must make sure your belongings are returned to you or must allow you to collect them.

Your landlord cannot keep, sell, or destroy your belongings. They must not just put your belongings on the doorstep for you to collect.

Contact your landlord to arrange the return or collection of your belongings.

You can take the landlord to court and claim compensation if they've lost or damaged your belongings.

Get advice about taking your landlord to court.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local advice centre.

Get your tenancy deposit back after illegal eviction

If you're an assured shorthold tenant, your tenancy deposit should have been protected in an authorised scheme.

You can use the deposit protection scheme's dispute resolution service to help get your tenancy deposit back.

Find out more about getting your deposit back.

The service can also help if you disagree with the amount the landlord has kept.

If your landlord refuses to use the dispute resolution service, you can take them to court for the return of your deposit.

You can also take your landlord to court to get your deposit back if your deposit did not have to be protected by a government scheme

If you claim compensation from your landlord for illegal eviction, you can make a claim for the return of your deposit as part of the same court application.

Find out more about illegal eviction injunctions and compensation.


Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page