Rent deposit, bond and guarantee schemes

If you want to rent privately but you don't have money for a tenancy deposit, there may be rent deposit schemes, rent guarantee and bond schemes in your area that can help.

How a rent deposit scheme works

Rent deposit schemes help people who can't afford a tenancy deposit to rent from a private landlord.

Rent deposit schemes are usually run by a local council or housing association or sometimes by a charity.

Rent deposit schemes offer loans to be used as deposits. Usually, the scheme lends you the money in advance and you pay it back over a period of time from your wages or benefits.

If there are no problems, you should get your deposit back as a lump sum at the end of your tenancy.

Tenancy deposit protection

If you are given an assured shorthold tenancy agreement and pay a deposit to your landlord, the money must be placed in a UK government-backed tenancy deposit protection scheme.

Find out about tenancy deposit protection scheme rules.

How a guaranteed rent and bond scheme works

Bond schemes or rent guarantee schemes are usually run by a council, housing association or charity.

Instead of a cash deposit, the scheme-provider gives a written guarantee to your landlord to cover their losses.

Your landlord does not have to register the bond with a government-backed tenancy deposit scheme.

When you sign up to a guaranteed rent or bond scheme, you usually have to agree to repay the council any money it has to pay the landlord or letting agent.

If there is a problem at the end of your tenancy, your landlord can ask the scheme-provider to pay for damage you caused or rent you didn't pay (often up to a maximum of one month's rent). If this happens, the rent deposit or bond scheme provider pays the landlord and then asks you to repay the money to the scheme.

Who can apply for help with a tenancy deposit

Different schemes have different rules on who can apply.

Schemes run by local councils often provide help to families who are homeless and in priority need.

Some schemes run by charities offer help to certain groups of people such as families with young children, single homeless people with alcohol or drug problems, ex-offenders or people with a history of rough sleeping.

Check the rules for schemes in your area. Ask the scheme-provider or your local council.

Finding a local rent deposit, guaranteed rent or bond scheme

Use the Crisis Private Rented Sector directory to search for a private rented sector (PRS) scheme in your area.

If there are no schemes listed for your area, check locally for other schemes that may be available.

Contact your local council or use our advice services directory to find an advice centre in your local area that can help.

Fill out my online form.

Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page