Housing benefit: How to claim

Housing benefit or universal credit?

You can only make a new claim for housing benefit if either:

  • you - and your partner if you live with them - are pension age
  • you claim other benefits which include a severe disability premium
  • you're staying in a refuge, hostel or some types of supported or temporary housing

You must claim universal credit instead if you can't claim housing benefit.

Mixed age couples

You're a mixed age couple if one of you is pension age and the other is working age.  

From 15 May 2019, you can't usually make a new housing benefit claim until you're both pension age.

Last updated 13 Aug 2019 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Get building social housing made a priority in this election

You can help us make sure our next government provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.