Help if you’re homeless: disabilities and health conditions

Get help finding a place to stay if you’re homeless and have a disability or serious health condition.

Contact a Shelter adviser

Contact Shelter if you’re suddenly homeless and you have a disability or a serious health condition, for example:

  • a chronic or terminal illness
  • a mental health condition
  • a learning disability

Contact a Shelter adviser online or phone

Get homelessness help from the council

The council should help you if you’re homeless or think you might lose your home.

You can be legally homeless if you can’t stay in your current home because of a disability or serious health condition.

Find out how to apply to your council as homeless.

Tell the council about your disability or health condition and how it affects you. This may help to show you that you're in priority need of housing.

You can get help with your application if you have special needs. For example, you can request a sign language interpreter or bring a support worker or advocate.

Emergency housing

Your council should offer you emergency housing if it thinks you're homeless and that you may be vulnerable or have a priority need for housing.

What happens next

The council looks into your situation after you make a homelessness application.

If the council decides you qualify for longer-term housing, you will be offered settled housing but may have to spend some time in suitable temporary accommodation.

You can ask for a review of the council's decision if you are refused settled housing or if you think the housing offered is unsuitable.

Help to stay in your home

Your council may be able to help you adapt your home if it’s not suitable for your needs because of a disability or health condition.

This could prevent you from becoming homeless.

You can apply for a disabled facilities grant to pay for adaptations which help you to use and move about your home safely, for example:

  • ramps to access the home
  • a downstairs bathroom or stairlift

Find out how to apply for a disabled facilities grant on

You can also ask your council for a needs assessment. Social services will assess you to see what help and support you need in your home. This can include adaptations.

Find out how to apply for a needs assessment on

The council could give you priority on the housing register or for a tenancy transfer if your home can't be adapted.

Still need help?

You can get advice on housing and your rights from the following national charities:

Last updated - 22 Sep 2017

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Tell us what you think of this page

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact