Help if you’re homeless: EU citizens in the UK

Get help finding somewhere to live if you're homeless and an EU citizen, and have nowhere to stay.

Contact a Shelter adviser

Get advice from Shelter if you are from Europe (the EU or EEA) and are homeless or will be homeless soon.

Contact a Shelter adviser online or by phone

Our expert advisers will:

Get help from your council

You can apply as homeless to your council if you're homeless or at risk of losing your home within 8 weeks.

The council will check if you meet immigration and residence conditions. The council call this being 'eligible for assistance'.

Many EU nationals qualify for help but the help you get depends on your situation. 

If you're in a priority need group, you may qualify for emergency housing and longer-term housing when homeless.

Challenge a council decision

If the council decide they can't help you, they must write to you and explain why. You can ask for a review if you think the decision is wrong.

You may qualify for free legal help if you're on a low income:

Civil Legal Advice on 0345 345 4 345

Use Shelter's directory to find local face-to-face advice

If the council can't help you

You'll need to find your own accommodation if the council can't help you with housing.

Find out more about: 

Help to pay rent

If you find somewhere to live, you may be able to claim one of the following benefits to help with your rent:

Your residence status in the UK affects if you qualify.   

Find out more from Citizens Advice about claiming benefits if you're an EU national

Get immigration and housing advice

You may need specialist immigration advice if you're unsure of your residence status. 

The following organisations give specialist advice to Central and East European migrants:  

Barka UK free helpline - 0800 171 2926

East European Resource Centre - 0800 121 4226

Ramfel - 020 8478 4513

Last updated - 29 Mar 2018

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Tell us what you think of this page

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.