You're viewing a new version of this page. To opt out and view our old site, click the button.

Bedroom tax: are you affected?

Find out if you are affected by cuts to your housing benefit if you're a council or housing association tenant with a spare room.

What is the bedroom tax?

The bedroom tax is a cut in your housing benefit if you live in a council or housing association home and are classified as having a 'spare' bedroom.

The bedroom tax is also known as the under-occupancy charge.

You claim housing benefit from the council. You can only claim for a certain number of bedrooms, depending on how many people live in your home. The council will let you know if you're affected. 

Who the bedroom tax applies to

You may get less housing benefit if all the following apply:

  • you have a spare bedroom
  • you live in a council or housing association property
  • you're of working age  

When you or your partner reach state pension age you're no longer affected. Check your state pension age on

Bedroom tax doesn't apply to you if you live in:

  • private rented housing (housing benefit is worked out using different rules)
  • temporary or supported accommodation (it does apply to some council facilities)

Use Shelter's bedroom tax checker to see if you're affected by the bedroom tax

How much housing benefit you lose

Bedroom tax is applied to your 'net rent' (the rent when things like water charges are removed, as these aren't covered by housing benefit). The housing benefit office calls this your 'eligible rent'.

The amount of net rent is cut by:

  • 14% if you have one spare bedroom
  • 25% if you have two or more spare bedrooms

For example, if your net rent is £100 a week, you need to pay the following extra rent yourself:

  • £14 more if you have one spare room
  • £25 more if you have two spare rooms

Bedrooms you can get housing benefit for

You can get housing benefit for 1 bedroom for each:

  • adult couple
  • other adult over 16 (this includes lodgers, although rent from lodgers affects how much housing benefit you get)
  • disabled child under 16 who can't share a bedroom because of their disability
  • 2 children of the same sex under 16
  • 2 children under 10 (including children of the opposite sex)
  • foster child (only 1 bedroom is allowed regardless of the number or sex of the children)
  • child away at university who plans to return home (second or third year students living in privately rented accommodation may not count)
  • child in the armed forces who plans to return home

Any other bedrooms in your home are counted as spare.

Bedrooms you can't get housing benefit for

You can't get housing benefit for bedrooms that count as spare bedrooms. This includes rooms you use for:

  • children who've left home and don't plan to return
  • children who live with you part time and who you don't claim child benefit for
  • sleeping apart from your partner because of a medical condition
  • a 'sanctuary room', where your home was adapted to make it secure for you after you experienced domestic violence

When an extra bedroom is allowed

You can get housing benefit for a bedroom if:

  • you're disabled and have an overnight carer (only 1 spare bedroom is allowed)
  • you're a foster carer who's been approved by social services and is between placements or newly approved (only 1 spare bedroom is allowed for up to 52 weeks)
  • you have a child away in the armed or reserve forces (if they plan to return to live with you)
  • someone who normally lives with you is away for up to a year if they intend to return and are away for particular reasons (for example, they're in hospital)

If your circumstances change

If your circumstances change, you must tell the council as you could get more or less housing benefit.

This could be if:

  • your child leaves home and you have a spare room
  • your child is too old to continue sharing a bedroom with a child of the opposite sex (as soon as they're 10 years old)
  • someone in your household dies (housing benefit won't be reduced for a year after the death)
  • you have a baby or adopt a child and need to use your spare room
  • a relative or lodger moves in with you
  • you or your partner reach state pension age (use the state pension calculator to check if this applies to you)
  • you claimed housing benefit for the first time in the last 52 weeks (bedroom tax doesn't apply for 13 weeks)

What you can do if your housing benefit is cut

If your housing benefit is cut, you must pay the rest of your rent yourself. If you can't do this, you could end up losing your home.

To afford the extra rent you could:

You could also apply to the council for a discretionary housing payment.

Appeal against the council's decision

If you think your housing benefit shouldn't have been cut, you can ask the council to look at their decision again.

You may win your appeal if the council used the wrong information when working out if you have a spare room.

A benefits adviser can help you with your appeal.

Use Shelter's directory to find a local benefits adviser

Last updated 25 Apr 2016 | © Shelter

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Leave Feedback

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########