Housing benefit for mobile homes

You can claim housing benefit for a mobile home if you have a low income or receive benefits. Housing benefit can help you pay your rent or site fees.  

Housing benefit for mobile homes

You can claim housing benefit if you pay rent to live in your mobile home.

You can also claim housing benefit to help you pay your site fees.

Mobile homes include caravans occupied by people with a travelling tradition, such as Gypsies, Travellers and travelling show people.

Gypsies and Travellers on council-owned sites

The maximum amount of rent that qualifies for housing benefit can only be restricted if:

  • the council says your mobile home is too large for your needs
  • the rent is unreasonably high

This applies if you stay on a council owned site or live in a mobile home or caravan provided by a county council on a travellers' site.

Housing benefit if you rent a mobile home

The council decides on the maximum rent payable for mobile homes by looking at rents for similar properties in the area. The council looks at rents for traditional bricks and mortar homes as well as mobile homes.

Housing benefit if you own a mobile home

If you own your mobile home, you can get housing benefit to help pay your pitch or site fees but not if fees are paid under a long lease.

Housing benefit won't cover hire purchase fees for buying your home.

Still need help?

Get advice from Citizens Advice if you have any problems making a claim for housing benefit.

Search for your nearest Citizens Advice service

Last updated 25 Apr 2016 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.