Shared accommodation rate for under 35s

If you are a single private renter under the age of 35, you are usually only entitled to housing benefit at the shared accommodation rate. 

What is the shared accommodation rate?

The shared accommodation rate applies to most single people under 35 renting from a private landlord. It does not apply if you are a council or housing association tenant.

The maximum housing benefit you can get is the rate for renting a single room in a shared house. This applies even if you rent a self-contained flat.

The housing benefit you can get for living in a shared home is usually less than for a self-contained home.

The rates are set under local housing allowance (LHA) rules and are different depending on where you live.

Use Directgov's LHA rate finder to find your local rate

Exemptions when you live with others

The shared accommodation rate doesn't apply regardless of your age if you live in self-contained accommodation and you:

  • have a child who lives with you
  • live with your partner as a couple
  • live with an adult non-dependant
  • are a foster carer

Exemptions for care leavers

The shared accommodation rate won't apply until you are 22 if you are a care leaver.

Homeless or leaving prison

The shared accommodation rate should not apply if you are 25 or over and can show that you:

  • lived in homeless hostels for at least three months and accepted rehabilitation or support services before moving to the private rented sector 
  • are a former prisoner and are managed under the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA)

Housing benefit if you have a disability

You can claim the 1-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you are in self-contained accommodation and get any of the following benefits:

  • daily living component of personal independence payment (PIP)
  • attendance allowance
  • middle or high rate care component of disability living allowance (DLA)
  • armed forces independence payment

You can claim the 2-bed rate of local housing allowance (LHA) if you need overnight care and somebody regularly stays over to care for you and is provided with a bedroom when they stay.

Dealing with a rent shortfall

You'll need to make up any rent payments not covered by housing benefit using other income.

Discretionary housing payments can help.

Look at other ways to save money or check Money Saving Expert's income-boosting tips.

Last updated 25 Apr 2016 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact