Gas safety in rented homes

Your landlord must make sure that gas appliances in your home are safe and checked every year.

Gas leaks

Call the National Gas Emergency Service immediately on 0800 111 999 if you smell gas or think there's a gas leak.

Find out more from the NHS about signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.

For information on gas safety, call the free Gas Safety Advice Line on 0800 300 363.

Your landlord's responsibilities

Your landlord must make sure that the gas supply and appliances they have provided are:

  • in a safe condition
  • fitted or repaired by a Gas Safe registered engineer
  • checked every 12 months by a Gas Safe registered engineer

This includes pipework, cookers, boilers, fires and water heaters.

These rules apply to private, council and housing association landlords.

Your responsibilities

You are responsible for any gas appliances that you own. Your landlord is usually responsible for any flues, pipework or chimneys they are connected to.

When a Gas Safe engineer checks the appliances owned by your landlord, you can ask them to check your appliances, but you may have to pay for this.

Gas safety inspections

Your landlord must arrange a gas safety check every 12 months.

The check must be done by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Ask to see their Gas Safe ID card.

If there's a serious problem with any of the gas installations in your home, the engineer must make them safe. They can disconnect faulty equipment and arrange for your gas supply to be cut off.

Your landlord shouldn't ask you to pay for a gas safety check. Any charge will be a banned fee if your tenancy began or was renewed after 1 June 2019.

Your landlord should give you a reasonable amount of notice about a gas safety check. You must allow the engineer access to your home to carry out the inspection and do any repair work.

Write to your landlord about gas safety inspections

Ask your landlord to arrange a gas safety check if one hasn't been done in the past 12 months.

Use our template letter to ask your landlord for a gas safety inspection

Gas safety certificates

A Gas Safe registered engineer gives your landlord a gas safety record after inspecting your home. This is often called a gas safety certificate. 

If the record shows there are problems that affect gas safety, the landlord must get the problems repaired.

Your landlord must give you a copy of the latest gas safety record both:

  • before you move in if you are a new tenant
  • within 28 days of each yearly gas safety check 

Use our template letter to ask your landlord for a gas safety record

Protection from eviction

Your landlord can't give you a valid section 21 eviction notice before they have given you a copy of the latest gas safety record. This only applies if your tenancy began or was renewed after 1 October 2015.

How to complain about gas safety

You can complain to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) if your landlord won't carry out gas safety checks.

The HSE can prosecute landlords who don't meet their gas safety responsibilities. However they are unlikely to be able to deal with every complaint they receive. 

Another option is to complain to the council's environmental health department.

The council can take action against your landlord if gas safety problems mean your home is unsafe. 

Carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms 

A private landlord must install:

  • carbon monoxide detectors in rooms with a coal fire or a wood burning stove
  • smoke alarms on each floor of your home

If you have gas or oil heaters and boilers, carbon monoxide detectors are recommended but not required.

The detectors and alarms must be in proper working order:

  • when they are installed
  • at the start of all new tenancies

You are responsible for checking they are still working after that. If an alarm or detector stops working, contact the landlord to arrange for new batteries or a replacement.

Complain to your council if your landlord hasn't installed or maintained detectors or alarms.

These rules don't apply if you are a lodger, or rent from a council or housing association. You can still ask for detectors and alarms to be installed.

Last updated 05 August 2019 | © Shelter

If you need to talk to someone, we’ll do our best to help

Get help

Get the government to build more social housing

You have the power to make sure they provide affordable housing for all those who need it

Sign the petition Sign the petition

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Was this advice helpful?

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.