You're viewing a new version of this page. To opt out and view our old site, click the button.

Support for mortgage interest payments (SMI)

If you claim certain benefits, support for mortgage interest (SMI) payments can help you with mortgage interest and interest payments on loans for improvements or repairs.

Support for mortgage interest (SMI)

Support for mortgage interest (SMI) helps homeowners with the costs of mortgage payments and some loans for repairs and improvements to the home.

You can only get help to pay the interest on your mortgage or loan.

SMI can only be claimed if you also claim:

  • income support
  • income-based jobseeker's allowance
  • income-related employment and support allowance
  • pension credit

You might be eligible for help with the cost of your mortgage payments if you claim universal credit.

Find out more from about benefits you may be eligible for.

Claim for help with interest on other loans

You may also be able to get help to pay the interest on loans taken out for:

  • essential repairs or improvements to your home – for example for insulation, repairing dangerous faults or adapting your home if someone in your household is ill or disabled
  • buying your ex-partner's share in your home if you have separated

Loans for essential repairs or improvements may be covered even if you take them out after you claim a qualifying benefit.

You won't get help to pay off the loans themselves.

Find out more about help to deal with debts.

How to claim support for mortgage interest (SMI)

You can claim support for mortgage interest at your local Jobcentre Plus or from the Pension Service.

When you apply for income support, income based jobseeker's allowance or pension credit, you must include information about your mortgage and housing costs to get the extra payments. You must provide proof of your income, details of your financial situation and any related paperwork.

Your lender has to complete some of the forms confirming the details of your loan.

Contact Jobcentre Plus or the Pension Service for a form if you already receive these benefits but are not getting any extra payments towards your housing costs.

How support for mortgage interest (SMI) is paid

Payments are usually made at the end of every four weeks along with your other benefits.

Mortgage payments are usually due on a monthly basis, so you may appear to be behind with your payments.

Waiting times for payments

People who receive pension credit are entitled to help immediately but there are waiting periods for everyone else.

You won't get any SMI payments for the first 39 weeks after you claimed help with your housing costs if you claim:

  • income support
  • income based jobseeker's allowance
  • income related employment and support allowance

Jobseeker's allowance: SMI payments limited to two years

If you receive jobseeker's allowance (JSA) you can only get support for mortgage interest for up to two years.

There is no time limit if you’ve been claiming JSA since 5 January 2009 or you receive income support, pension credit or income-related employment and support allowance.

Find out more about dealing with mortgage arrears.

Interest rates used to calculate SMI payments

SMI is currently paid at 3.12%. Check for any changes in this rate.

The rate of interest you actually pay on your mortgage is not taken into account.

If you pay a lower interest rate than the average mortgage rate, you may be able to repay some of the capital you owe.

If the mortgage rate you pay is higher, you could find yourself in mortgage arrears.

How much of a mortgage is covered by SMI

You can usually claim help with interest payments on loans up to:

  • £200,000 if you're of working age
  • £100,000 if you receive pension credit

If you claimed SMI as part of another benefit in the 12 weeks before you claimed pension credit, you may still be able to claim help on loans up to £200,000.

Support for mortgage interest will not repay any of the capital you originally borrowed or pay towards any investment linked to your mortgage (such as an endowment policy, pension or ISA).

Reduced payments for large or costly homes

Any payments you receive may be reduced if your home is considered to be more expensive or larger than you need.

Get advice from a welfare benefits adviser if you're told that deductions are being made. It may be possible to show that it's not reasonable for you to move somewhere smaller or cheaper.

Get advice if you're separated and you might receive help with mortgage payments from your ex-partner or spouse. Check with an adviser how these payments should be made. They might affect the amount of benefit you're entitled to.

Use Shelter's directory to find a housing adviser

Housing benefit

You can't claim housing benefit to pay your mortgage. Housing benefit only covers rent payments.

However, if you bought your home through a shared ownership scheme, you can get housing benefit to help pay the rent on the share you do not own.

Find out more about housing benefit.

Get help and advice

Contact our local Shelter advice centre or Citizens Advice if you need help with your claim.

Many of our local services have advisers specialising in welfare benefits issues as well as housing.

Use Shelter's directory to find a housing adviser

Last updated 30 Nov 2016 | © Shelter

Was this advice helpful?

Email a link to this article

Thank you - your message has been sent.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########

Leave Feedback

Thank you - your feedback has been submitted to the team.

Sorry! - your message has not been sent this time.

Please contact #########