Domestic abuse

If a person you live with or have lived with has abused you - whether physically or not - you could be experiencing domestic abuse. The law can protect you and help you to change your situation.

Where to get help with domestic violence

If you've been a victim of domestic abuse or violence, there are a number of services where you can get confidential help and advice free of charge.

Domestic abuse against men

Men are sometimes reluctant to seek help if they're the victims of domestic abuse. But it's important to know where to get help and support if you need it.

Violence and abuse in same-sex relationships

If you're experiencing domestic violence in a gay or lesbian relationship, some of your housing rights will depend on your relationship status.

What is domestic abuse?

Domestic abuse isn't just about physical violence, it can be psychological, sexual or financial. See what you can do if you're experiencing domestic abuse.

Leaving domestic abuse

If you've suffered domestic abuse or don't feel safe in your home, you should plan to leave if possible. See how to stay safe.

Staying in your home

If you have suffered domestic abuse or violence you may want to stay in your home. See what steps to take and how to make your home safer to live in.

Injunctions for domestic violence

Taking civil action to get an injunction, or an order to prevent further abuse, is an option available to victims of domestic violence. Find out more.

Is domestic violence a criminal offence?

Although domestic abuse is not considered a specific criminal offence, the police can prosecute a perpetrator for a variety of other offences instead.

Finances in an abusive relationship

You may be reluctant to leave an abusive relationship because you won't manage financially. See what help and support is available if you decide to leave.