Domestic abuse against men

Men who are victims of domestic abuse may be reluctant to seek help, but have equal rights to use the law and get help as homeless if they need to leave their home because of violence or abuse.

Seeking help if you are a man experiencing abuse

Victims of domestic abuse can find it difficult to let other people know what's happening and to seek help. Men may be afraid that they won't be taken seriously, or that they'll be criticised or ridiculed for 'letting' a partner abuse them. Many abused men are reluctant to leave the family home in case they are later denied contact with their children.

It's important to get help and support in life when you need it. Men experiencing domestic violence or abuse are encouraged to 'talk it over' by the Men's Advice line, a specialist helpline offering listening, emotional support, information and advice.

Legal rights of men experiencing violence and abuse

Advice on this website about your legal rights if you experience domestic violence applies equally to men and women. For example, if you are a man who has experienced domestic abuse:

  • you have the right to apply to the council as homeless if you have had to leave your home
  • you can take legal action against the perpetrator (for example by applying for an occupation order or an injunction).
  • you can report incidents to the police.

More information on housing rights when you split up is available from AdviceGuide.

Emergency housing for men

There are limited refuge places available for men who have experienced domestic abuse, but you can contact the Men's Advice line for information on specialist agencies or use our directory to find a local advice agency.

If you need emergency accommodation, you could make a homeless application to the council.

Last updated: