Eviction for antisocial or criminal behaviour

Council or housing association landlords can evict tenants for criminal or antisocial behaviour.

Eviction for antisocial behaviour

A council or housing association landlord can ask a court to evict you if you, someone in your household or a visitor has been involved in antisocial behaviour.

Antisocial behaviour includes:

  • causing a nuisance to your neighbours
  • harassing your landlord's staff or contractors
  • using your home for illegal purposes, such as drug dealing
  • being convicted of a serious offence
  • breaching a criminal behaviour order

You are usually held responsible for the behaviour of your children and adults who live with you or visit you.

You can be evicted for antisocial behaviour that takes place in your home or in your neighbourhood.

You can also be evicted if you commit an offence during a riot anywhere in the UK.

Rules for eviction for antisocial behaviour

The council or housing association has to follow certain rules to evict you. It should only use eviction as a last resort.

Normally the court looks at whether it is reasonable to evict you even if it has decided you have been involved in antisocial behaviour.

The court could decide to evict you or to suspend an order to possess your home on the condition that you don't re-offend.

If the antisocial behaviour has already been proved in another court, for example you have breached a criminal behaviour order, the court may have no choice but to evict you.

Find out more about the eviction of:

You can also be evicted from a temporary tenancy that was granted when you made a homelessness application.

Alternatives to eviction

Rather than trying to evict you, council and housing association landlords may take other steps first.

These include applying for a criminal behaviour order or asking the court to demote your tenancy. Your tenancy could be demoted for a year or longer.

While your tenancy is demoted, your landlord could evict you very easily if the antisocial behaviour continues.

Find out more about demoted council tenancies and demoted housing association tenancies.

Rehousing after eviction

You may find it difficult to be re-housed if you are evicted because of antisocial behaviour. The council could decide you made yourself intentionally homeless if you apply as homeless.

You could also be excluded from council waiting lists because of unacceptable behaviour.

Get advice about eviction for antisocial behaviour

Get advice immediately if you have been threatened with eviction because of antisocial behaviour.

Use Shelter's directory to find an adviser in your area.

Alternatively, contact Civil Legal Advice. You may be able to get help from their legal advisers if you qualify for Legal Help funding. Be prepared to answer questions about your income and savings so the helpline adviser can tell you if you qualify.


Last updated:

  • Print this page
  • Email this page